♦ PollMaster ♠ Access ♣ TheWitness ♥      In the service of GEEKZ and NON-GEEKZ everywhere
Savvy-Geekz.blogspot.com

Savvy-Geek reviews CONAN

The short of it the movie looks like it was made by a Barbarian. Continue reading to see my rating and review of the movie.

source: http://savvy-geek.blogspot.com





PollMaster Rates CONAN THE BARBARIAN
Very Bad
Bad
OK
Good
Great
MOVIE
Picture In General
Vomit Inducing
Meh!
Just Ok
It was Goooood
Uber Great!
*
3
Directing
lousy and clunky screenshots
noticeable amateur shots
A watchable movie
Good scene compositions
Innovative and memorable scenes
*
3
Acting
Skill Non-existent
Amateur
So-so
Inhabits the Character
Is the Character!
*
3
Story
Nauseating and Repulsive
Zzzzzzz… wha… what was that?
That was nice… Next!
It's good
Whoa! Mindblowing!
*
2
Movie Editting
A monkey could have done better
A monkey has done it
Nice but there's still some monkeying around
A monkey has nothing on you
Flawless
*
3
Cinematography
Worse than Crap
Crap
Passable
Alright
Awesome
*
3
Visual FX
I'll gorge my eyes out now
I'm squinting
Doesn't make me dizzy
Good to look at
Amazing to look at
*
2
Costume Design
Good Gawd!
You won't see it near me
Hmmmm.
Love to have one
I MUST... get me one of those
*
3
Sound Editting
After that, I wish I was deaf!
A monkey is doing it again.
I didn't really mind it.
Nicely done
Kudos! Bravo!
*
3
Score
No way that's music!
"Amateurs clanging in the basement"
Highschool Musical Presentation?
Now that's good music
Angelic Chorus
*
3
OK Movie
28
/50
Recommendation:
Watch it only if it's in TV



Just got out of the cinema, so the movie is still fresh from my mind. First of all I have not read Robert E. Howard's books where Conan was adapted from (might get on that someday), and I am too young when Arnold's version was released. So, my knowledge of Conan is pretty much what the general public knows of him, which is... his a Barbarian.

If you were viewing my rating scale you already have a pretty good idea what I thought about the movie, and to put it more bluntly it was not really a good movie. Directing, acting and storywise was pretty much all over the place. It is one confused movie, who does not know where it wants to be placed at - It is a fantasy movie who strives hard to be set in a real world and failed in both attempts.

Momoa, is striking as Conan and he probably resembles Howard's vision of the character than the Governator, Arnold Schwarzenegger. Unfortunately I find him lacking charisma, that a lead needs to hold together a movie. Rachel Nichols, pretty as she is - which I guess is the plus factor, does not have the chemistry or from the looks of things did not even tried to make her onscreen relationship with Conan work. I can go on through the list of actors but none really brought their A-game, all of them seem tired of the movie which does not inspire me to put an effort as well in reviewing it.

I love the sword and sandals genre, but this is definitely not the best example of it. There were often times that I forget what I was watching, and would swear that I was watching another god-awful sequel of the Scorpion King. To be fair with Scorpion King at least some parts of it was fun. Here they even tried to have a comic relief with that thief, but even him was not really sure what his part is in the whole movie. The CG effects were fantastic if this was made for TV but for a theatrical release it is out of place. The practical effects especially the blood splatter was often times comical, it seems like the people in Conan's time were like paintball pellets - splash they go when they hit a hard surface.

However, I still think there is an audience for this movie but unfortunately I am not one of them.

Share on facebook     Follow me on twitter
Okay Savvy-"G"s, Glorious Geekcreds to the first five individuals to leave geeky comments below.

Comic Book Movie